#1 — You must keep dating
By the time your wedding rolls around, you will have a pile of memories to build on.
A good Officiant will draw from those memories you’ve shared and set them out as a gift to your guests for them to draw on.
Over time, this pool of memories gets used and worn.
You must keep replacing these memories by making new ones.
Dating gave you the way to make memories.
Remember the date you went on that led to the first kiss? The first time you made love? The time you left each other and knew you never wanted to be apart again?
You need new experiences
You need new experiences to make more memories to draw from or you will wonder where that person you married went to. “But you used to…” is the sad refrain of people who aren’t growing together.
So keep dating.
- Pick a new place to explore or visit a place you both love in a different season.
- See who can name 10 cool details about it and then expand on them.
- Get on Pinterest or get a book like Simple Abundance or a fav author and choose some words of wisdom and discuss them.
- Go geocaching.
- Volunteer together.
- Dance barefoot to a drumbeat for 5 minutes and see how your playful selves come out to frolic (don’t you love that word frolic?? So how about writing a stream of consciousness story using the word frolic 20 times.)
- Go to the library and pick out a book you think your mate will love. (Not what you think he or she should read).
Fill the well of your love and appreciation regularly
But fill the well of your love and appreciation for each other regularly.
If you don’t you may become the overweight couple sitting across from each other at a restaurant with a bored or sour look on their faces, not talking with each other. Looking at them makes YOU feel sad.
And yes, I know. There’s no telling what else is going on in their life but you get what I’m saying, right?
Keep dating. Continue to nurture your relationship so your love stays alive. You’ve waited too long to find each other not to commit to doing what it takes to grow in love.
And that is Married Couples Commandment #1. 🙏
To find out how I can help you make the most of the fact you keep dating and now want to get married (!!) contact me for a free and easy consultation. Contact me click here click here 😆
Want to get a headline on Commandment #2? Find it Here.
And be sure to check Northern Michigan Wedding Officiants out on Facebook for a ton of ideas, photos and links to other very helpful relationship tips.